What every parent needs to know about 4K and 5K
All children who are four years old on or before September 1, 2020 (for the 2020-21 school year) and live in the Madison Metropolitan School District are eligible to participate in the Four-Year-Old Kindergarten (4K) program.
- The 4K program is an optional, tuition-free* program offered by MMSD
- It is a half-day program (AM and PM), Tuesday - Friday at MMSD sites
- 4K follows play-based learning standards to get your child ready for Kindergarten
- It takes place in many MMSD elementary schools and early care and education (ECE) centers
- 4K school supply lists are available on your school's website in the spring.
- Read some Frequently Asked Questions about the 4K program
- There is a summer school program for kids who did not attend 4K and are entering kindergarten in the fall. Learn more about Jump Start to Kindergarten
- Download the Kindergarten Packet for families (2020-21)
*There is a $40 materials fee. If you are attending 4K at an Early Care and Education Center, please contact the site Director for information on how to pay the fee.
Online Enrollment for the 2020-21 School Year opened February 24th. In school Enrollment took place on March 2nd from 2-6 pm.
Parents or guardians need to show the following documentation when they enroll their child:
- Verification page printed from online enrollment.
- Verification of your child's age (birth certificate, passport, or other official records).
- Verification of your address (lease, mortgage or recent utility bill).
- Your child's immunization record IF you did not allow access to Wisconsin Immunization Registry during online enrollment.
- Verification of parent/guardian identity and relationship; official photo ID (driver's license, passport or international government issued ID) and the student's birth certificate or court documentation providing proof of parent/guardian relationship.
Children are welcome to accompany parents to school to enroll, but they are not required to attend.
If you live less than 1.5 miles from your child’s assigned 4-year-old kindergarten school site and wish to be considered for district-provided transportation you must complete and submit the Application for Consideration for 4K Walk Area Exception. Please submit this application by 4:00PM on Friday, August 28, 2020 to: Transportation Services, 4711 Pflaum Road, Madison, WI 53718 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.