All children who are four years old on or before September 1, 2017 (for the 2017-18 school year) and live in the Madison Metropolitan School District are eligible to participate in the Four-Year-Old Kindergarten (4K) program.
- The 4K program is an optional, tuition-free* program offered by MMSD
- It is a half-day program, and there are two sessions (AM and PM)
- 4K follows play-based learning standards to get your child ready for Kindergarten
- It takes place in many MMSD elementary schools and early care and education (ECE) centers
- 4K school supply lists are available on your school's website
- Read some Frequently Asked Questions about the 4K program
*There is a $40 materials fee
Enrollment for the 2017-2018 School Year
Online enrollment for 4K and Kindergarten programming opened on February 27, 2017. Click here for information on 5-Year-Old Kindergarten.
4K enrollment for the 2017-18 school year took place on Monday, March 6th, 2017 from 2:00-6:00pm. If you were unable to attend the enrollment date, don't worry! You are still able to begin the process online by clicking on the link below. Then contact your local elementary school to schedule a time to complete the enrollment process.Begin Online Enrollment 2017-2018
Parents or guardians need to show the following documentation when they enroll their child:
- Verification of your child's age (birth certificate, passport, or health record)
- Verification of your address (lease, mortgage or recent utility bill)
- Your child's immunization record
Children are welcome to accompany parents to school to enroll, but they are not required to attend.
If you live less than 1.5 miles from your child’s assigned 4-year-old kindergarten school site and wish to be considered for district-provided transportation you must complete and submit the Application for Consideration for 4K Walk Area Exception. Please submit this application by 4:00PM on Friday, August 25, 2017 to:
Transportation Service, 4711 Pflaum Road, Madison, WI 53718.
You can fax to 608-204-0375, or submit as an email attachment to Michael LaCount at email@example.com.
There is a summer school program for children who did not attend MMSD 4K during the 16-17 school year, and who are entering 5-Year-Old Kindergarten in the fall of 2017. This program runs from June 19-July 28, from 8:00 a.m.-12:15 p.m. You can find some more information about this program here.