All children who are four years old on or before September 1, 2018 (for the 2018-19 school year) and live in the Madison Metropolitan School District are eligible to participate in the Four-Year-Old Kindergarten (4K) program.
- The 4K program is an optional, tuition-free* program offered by MMSD
- It is a half-day program (AM and PM), Tuesday - Friday at MMSD sites
- 4K follows play-based learning standards to get your child ready for Kindergarten
- It takes place in many MMSD elementary schools and early care and education (ECE) centers
- 4K school supply lists are available on your school's website
- Read some Frequently Asked Questions about the 4K program
*There is a $40 materials fee. If you are attending 4K at an Early Care and Education Center, please contact the site Director for information on how to pay the fee.
Enrollment for the 2018-2019 School Year
Online enrollment for all grades is now open!
Parents or guardians need to show the following documentation when they enroll their child:
- Verification of your child's age (birth certificate, passport, or health record)
- Verification of your address (lease, mortgage or recent utility bill)
- Your child's immunization record
Children are welcome to accompany parents to school to enroll, but they are not required to attend.
If you live less than 1.5 miles from your child’s assigned 4-year-old kindergarten school site and wish to be considered for district-provided transportation you must complete and submit the Application for Consideration for 4K Walk Area Exception. Please submit this application by 4:00PM on Friday, August 24, 2018 to: Transportation Service, 4711 Pflaum Road, Madison, WI 53718. Fax to 608-204-0375, or submit as an email attachment to Michael LaCount at email@example.com.